“To protect the health and welfare of the horse” is one of the AAEP’s most important pursuits. Guided by the Welfare & Public Policy Advisory Council, the AAEP’s efforts include the development of guidelines that help veterinarians and the equine industry implement appropriate standards of humane care for the horse.
The association and its members also provide direct benevolent assistance to horses and charitable groups, including rescue and retirement facilities, international aid projects and emergency relief during natural disasters. Key industry initiatives, such as the Unwanted Horse Coalition and the Racing Medication & Testing Consortium, were formed from the AAEP’s sponsorship and commitment to equine welfare and practices in the best interest of the horse.
Equine Abuse, Neglect and Abandonment Resources
Prepared by the Equine Abuse & Neglect Subcommittee of the WPPAC, the following resources have been compiled to empower veterinarians to address and prevent equine abuse and neglect. The AAEP encourages its members to proactively establish a relationship with local law enforcement to prevent equine neglect and abuse in your communities and form a strong team when faced with a case.
The Subcommittee is now offering a mentoring service to veterinarians who need guidance when involved in an abuse or neglect case. To request to be connected to a member of the group, please first contact Sally Baker, AAEP staff liaison, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (859) 233-0147.
- The Veterinarian's Role in Assessing Risk and Reporting Suspected Equine Neglect, Abuse and Mistreatment (PowerPoint presentation)
- A Practical Guide for Law Enforcement: Equine Abuse, Neglect and Mistreatment (PowerPoint presentation)
- Equine Abuse, Neglect & Mistreatment FAQs
- Examination Form - Equine Investigation
- Forensics Supply List - Equine Investigation
- Compilation of All Equine Investigative Forms - Includes Steps for Evidence Collection and Triage
- Abuse Reporting Requirements by State
- AVMA Practical Guidance for the Effective Response by Veterinarians to Suspected Animal Cruelty, Abuse & Neglect
- Equine Body Condition Scoring Chart
- Henneke Equine Body Scoring Chart
- How Do I Report Suspected Abuse? The National Link Coalition State-by-State Agency Listings
AAEP Equine Assistance Programs